Monday, March 17, 2014

Pickles



Hi Everyone,
I want to offer a warm welcome to Audrey, my newest blog follower.
Guess what??!!?? No paper crafting project today. But........... I did manage to make something today.

I made refrigerator pickles. And they are so easy to make, they are done in 24 hours and they are so yummy!! If you've never tried to make these you have to make a batch. Easy Peasy for sure!!!

OK, is your mouth watering, yet?? LOL   Let me share the recipe with you.

Easy Refrigerator Pickles
6 C thinly sliced cucumbers
2 C thinly sliced onions
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. mustard seed
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. ground tumeric

In a glass bowl, layer alternately the cukes and the onions. Combine rest of ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boiling, stirring til the sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture over cukes and onions. Cool slightly. Cover tightly. Refrigerate at least 24 hours. May be put into jars. Will keep at least a month in the refrigerator.

Note: That jar that you are looking at, that is my pickle jar. I use it for this recipe. It will hold 2 large cukes and one large onion.  Also, I use a mandolin to cut my cukes and onions. I also use a funnel when I add the liquid to the packed jar. I've made this recipe for 25+ years. The pickles turn out great each and every time.

Hope you all try this and enjoy.

I will be back Wednesday with another card. Til then, have a great day.



3 comments:

Anne Temple said...

Sounds yummy! My grandmother used to make something similar. Will definitely have to try this.

Verna Angerhofer said...

I make these pickles every year if the garden produces cukes for me. They are delicious and a quick and easy way to have instant gratification too. In fact, I usually do several batches so I can share with my kids. I am sure you will enjoy them. And, I always say that baking, cooking, sewing, paper crafts and any sort of ways to be creative is awesome. Still letting your creative muse take hold.

Vicki said...

Yum! These sound delicious and easy! A great combination that I will have to try.